Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Migration from Workstation 6.5 to 8

I do this every time. Things are perfectly set up, exactly the way I want them to be, things run smoothly for a short time and... I have to change it all. In this case, I want to upgrade my older workstation 6.5 to 8. There are several new features I'd love to take advantage of, most importantly performance advances!

First thought, forced reboots? Really? I thought the days of Win9x were over. Once Workstation 8 was up and running, it was time to startup the idle VMs first, item drop reset is about to happen, have to get them going first.

Only one VM had any issues with upgrading the tools. Some sort of dll error that was solved with running the commands at the bottom. No big deal, Windows happens right? I also had to add back in the CD-ROM drive to my idle VMs, since I removed them for performance.
I also had to setup my networking again to fix the bridged connections. I had to manually force the bridge to the correct network adapter. Of the 4 physical adapters connected, it chose the one adapter that was disabled, media disconnected and has the incorrect drivers.
  • msiexec /unreg
  • msiexec /regserver
After configuring all the VMs and preparing them, I noticed the snapshot manager lags pretty badly when attempting to take multiple snapshots at a time. 6.5 never did this. 



Cool new features

  • Thumbnail view. When doing multiple things on several VMs, the thumbnail view can be extremely useful for keeping a tab on all your VMs at once. I love this thing.
  • Clone. Sure this was easy enough before, but now that it's included inside workstation, it does make it much easier to add on additional VMs without copying outside and renaming everything. This also keeps the filestructure much easier to read.
  • Shared VMs. Basically allowing a remote VNC connection to Workstation's management console. Ever start an idle session from a tablet? I now have, and it's awesome.
  • Automatic scaling of desktop from management view. Its no longer 1:1, if your VM's desktop is higher than the management console, it will scale it and keep it there without forcing numerous desktop resizings. (great for my Linux/BSD VMs which may or may not have X support for the tools)
All in all, I didn't have a single major issue migrating the idle VMs over to workstation 8. Now if the Linux and BSD VMs will be as easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment