Friday, February 8, 2013

Gatecrash Prerelease - Boros NO REMORSE

10am, Friday, Feburary 08, 2013. Gatecrash has been released on MTGO!

In the weeks leading up to today I've been at my local store every day drafting Gatecrash. I was even able to get in 5 sealed events at the prerelease. Its time to crush some people.

Queues went up and I instantly jumped in with my Boros emblem and this is what I got:

Gatecrash Prerelease #1 - Deck & Sideboard
Not too bad. A touch light on creatures, I'd prefer two more for battalion to trigger more often. I also made a slight mistake when I submitted, I end up sideboarding out Ripscale (6 drop) and one Scorchwalker (5 drop) for a Knight Watch and Nav Squad Commandos. Its very minor but I can feel the difference in longer games. Not that this deck gets to the longer game very often.

The crown jewels are the double Wojek Halberdiers and triple Madcap Skills. Round 2 and 3 were variations of small dudes and Madcap skills and smashing face. For reference, here is my round 3 opponent during game 2:

Round 3 - Game 2
Yeah, thats not fair.

On the sad side of things I opened nothing of value. I'll be lucky to see the two Primordials I picked up for 2 tix total and Firemane Angel is a WHOLE 6 cents! Oooooo.  Kind of sad since the paper prerelease I opened a Firemane Angel every event and the store (Channelfireball) was buying at $10/each. Kept me going.

A quick breakdown of the event:

Round 1:
Played against a Gruul splash Boros pool. Made a few "I just woke up" mistakes like swinging a Wojek with Madcap into two guys and forgetting Smite won't kill the other guy he blocked with. Oops. He got a game off me with triple bloodrushing a guy and killing me out of nowhere. Game 2 and 3 were easy, just madcap and win.

Round 2:
Played against the lucksack Orzhov pool. Game 1 he dropped a foil ghost dad (aka Obzedat, Ghost Council) I laughed and said, "Nice Pull sir." he responded by saying, "I have two of them." Oh its on.
Proceeded to finally kill off Ghost dad #1, which he responded to dropping the second one. Game 2 and 3 I curved out with fliers and madcaps and a quick Ariel Maneuver to take out what he thought was a safe attack. Game 3 I curved out and crushed him with Wojeks. 

Round 3:
I feel bad for this opponent. Game 1 went like this: Turn 1 Boros Elite, Turn 2 Bomber, Turn 3, Wojek, Turn Madcap, Madcap win. He was mana screwed. Game 2 is highlighted above. 

So on to round 4. As I finish this post theres still only 3 games done, and one was a BYE.

I may end up defecting from the Dimir after this event.

Edit:
Round 4:
Boros Mirror. He goes turn 1 Boros Elite, I call with a Boros Elite. Its going to be one of those games.
Round 2 is the fun one. I keep a slowish hand with Elite, Skyjak and double red removal. Jocky around for position for a few turns and he drops fireman angel. Ut oh. I top deck Act of Treason. Proceed to Act of Treason his Firemane angel and attack with 3 guys and kill the angel with its own trigger.

Yep, Act of Treason Firemane to kill itself. Its a thing.

4-0

No comments:

Post a Comment