Friday, May 10, 2013

MTGO - Dragon's Maze Prerelease Results

I've been on MTGO all day playing the horrible value prerelease events. What can I say, I'm a sucker for new stuff. Regardless of how many tickets I lost today I've had a blast playing the new set. Though in my haste to begin the fun, i mistakenly bought 20 guildmarks and 1 ticket in my first go around. Yeah oops. Hope they refund me soon, that's quite a bit of money.
Buying stuff while half asleep and before caffeine and nicotine is a bad idea. 
Throughout the day I ended up playing in 8 Sealed and 6 draft. My first sealed pool was insane (value wise). Double Voice of the resurgence, foil Ral and some other 4 tix rares. Sold off the foil Ral and double queued my next two sealed. Overall I ended up poorly on the winning side of things. 4-0, 4-0, 3-1, 2-2, 2-2, 3-1, 2-2 and a 3-1 in total. There are some truly broken things you can do with this set that I didn't end up with and got wrecked.

Now on the draft side of things, whoooooo boy I tell ya what. I love funky draft formats and 3x DGM is funky as they come. First off its a small set, so expect 5-10 of your primary common. Secondly gates and gatekeepers are just so much value. I love them all. Check this 3-0 (no game losses) deck. I dub it, "Esper Value.dec"


Yep, this deck was sick. Got passed the Mirko pack 3 pick 3 for some odd reason. The only weak link in the deck was the Woodlot Crawler, it was merely a 2/1 for 2 in every matchup. Rakdos Drakes were insane as were the Ascended Lawmages. There are so few flyers and reach creatures in DGM they just rule the sky. And of course, the gatekeepers. Every time they hit I was getting value, even if it was even just an extra card. Add the singlton Deputy and the black one and you have yourself a solid removal spell. It was pretty fun to pilot this deck.

While I don't recommend 3x DGM ever, it was fun for what it was. It let us see each DGM card in potential matchups and how they play out. Its a great way to learn a new set, especially a small one where you get multiple of every card. Such as my Tithe drinker spell where I got 11, yes, 11 Tithe drinkers. While I lost to the guy with 8 Green Gatekeepers (gain 7 life) and 3 bombs including Tesya, it was still hella fun to play.

All in all, a great day of magic. Even if I lost overall value.

No comments:

Post a Comment