Friday, July 20, 2012

How to not be a Magic: The Gathering scrub - Introduction

I've recently started watching a lot more Magic: The Gathering streams on twitch and other sources. One thing I've gathered from reading the chat is, there are a lot of MTG scrubs in the world. I wish to dispel some of the myths and beliefs these "scrubs" hold in order to make you a better player.

Firstly, what is a scrub? Urban dictionary claims its from the depths of arcades in the mid 90's. These people would "scrub" the buttons in fighting games. While I disagree with this history, and being an arcade dweller in the 90's we just called them button mashers, the term is an accurate way to describe poorer players. People who don't play to win, have no grasp on the game concepts, or are just generally annoying to play against. What sets a scrub apart from the casual players is one thing, they try to win and consider themselves good. 

In this series, I'll address some of the habits of the scrub. Things they do which can be fixed easily. Many of these are just attitude adjustments, or play style habits that can be resolved. If you're a scrub take heart, you don't have to be one much longer.

Part 1: Shuffling - Can you shuffle too much?
Part 2: Mana Screw - I could of won if I just had one more mana...
Part 3: Unfun magic archetypes - How I stopped worrying and loved the counterspell.
Part 4: Knowing your outs - Never give up, never concede.
Part 5: Tournament losing - How to not go on tilt and lose more.
Part 6: Pet cards - Is it time to let go of Pikachu?
Part 7: The best deck - "Netdeck"ing is bad!
Part 8: Complaining - If I only... if you hadn't top decked... if you blocked this way...
Part 9:  Conclusion - I'm not a scrub! You just suck!

Update: I'm cutting "Part 8: Deck Building - All I need to do is draw all 5 of these cards and I can win..." This deserves its own hardcover book devoted to the art of deck building. I am no where near adept enough to begin covering the concept and where people go wrong. I've tried writing this section several times and came up with even more basic overviews of dos and don'ts. Thats not what I want. I may overview generic deck building for the rotation, aka How to build a control deck in a new format, but thats not how to not be a scrub.

No comments:

Post a Comment